From: Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Webkit-gtk yelp and dependencies
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 16:14:34
1 On 10/03/2016 05:08 AM, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> [16-10-03 11:56]:
3 >> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 2:51 AM, <Meino.Cramer@×××.de> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Hi,
6 >>>
7 >>> this morning it happens again: net-libs/webkit-gtk was
8 >>> updated.
9 >>> For me it means: For a longer time as convenient full
10 >>> load on the all cores of the CPU of my GENTOO box,
11 >>> higher CPU temperatures as usual and laggy desktop.
12 >>>
13 >> You shouldn't get a laggy desktop these days. It was a problem a while back
14 >> (5+ years ago?) when fiddling with swappiness and cgroups or other stuff
15 >> i've forgotten was a thing.
16 >>
17 >> Off the top of my head, these are useful;
18 >> CONFIG_CGROUPS=y
19 >> CONFIG_HZ_1000=y
20 >> CONFIG_HZ=1000
21 >>
22 >> Maybe also try
23 >> CONFIG_DEFAULT_IOSCHED="bfq"
24 > ...my PC is seven year old...
28 The old school fix for slow machines, increase or double the amount of
29 memory.
30 ( ... If already not maxed out. )
31 Memory should be cheap for that PC.