From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} laptops for a developing country (Vanuatu)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 23:23:29
1 On Saturday 27 Apr 2013 22:09:38 Grant wrote:
2 > >>> *Someone* has all those netbooks that Westeners ditched in favour of
3 > >>>
4 > >>> > iCraps, I recommend you look into who is now selling them 2nd hand.
5 > >>
6 > >> I should look to eBay, right?
7 > >
8 > > I reckon that's a good start.
9 > >
10 > > There are other companies around that sell refurbed machines, check
11 > > those out too. I have no idea how to find such companies in your part of
12 > > the world, so you are probably gonna need some uber-google-fu to find
13 > > them.
14 > >
15 > > And as almost, do your homework and due diligence.
16 >
17 > How about Android netbooks or tablets? Here are a well-reviewed
18 > Android 4.0 netbook and 4.1 tablet for about $80 each brand new:
19 >
20 > Kocaso NB726A netbook:
21 >
22 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1M80H31141
23 > http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kocaso-NB726A-Black-7-1-2Ghz-Google-Android-4-0-Net
24 > book-Notebook-Laptop-/300826243684
25 >
26 > Avatar Sirius S701-R2A-1 tablet:
27 >
28 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834686007
29 >
30 > - Grant
31
32 What-ever you source for them, can I please ask you to think seriously about
33 avoiding installing any MSWindows OS? The amount of botnets out there that
34 hit my webservers is only getting worse and any IPs that I've scanned to
35 investigate who the attackers are, I see them running MSWindows. :-(
36 --
37 Regards,
38 Mick