From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reasons for testing or stable of kde packages
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 14:32:01
1 060312 Marco Calviani wrote:
2 > At the root of my question there was the need to understand
3 > why kde 3.5.1 packages are still testing
4 > even if there aren't critical bugs at bugs.gentoo.org
5
6 My experience is that the Gentoo KDE devs are rather conservative
7 & tend to leave versions in 'testing' a bit longer than necessary.
8 I've been using 3.5.1 for about 2 weeks without any problems
9 & before that 3.5.0 from the beginning of January ditto.
10 I trust KDE not to release a version with serious bugs,
11 but otherwise do avoid 'testing' versions of critical packages, eg Portage:
12 not long ago, there was a serious bug in the 'testing' Bash 3.0 ,
13 which was quickly fixed, but caused a few people real trouble.
14 While KDE is my usual desktop manager, it isn't critical to my system,
15 as I have Fluxbox installed too & could switch to that in an emergency.
19 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
20 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
21 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list