From: Marco Calviani <marco.calviani@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reasons for testing or stable of kde packages
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 14:00:00
1 Hi Holly, and thanks for your clear explanation,
2
3 > > Hi list, i would like to have clarification regarding the policy of
4 > > switching packages from testing to stable. Is this policy due to
5 > > particular bugs in the packages?
6 > >
7 > No. Gentoo's "stable" and "testing" refers to the /ebuilds/, not the
8 > packages.
9
10 Well, that was my fault in explaining..... i was referring to
11 "versions" of a particular package....
14 > I'm not a dev, but from my experience, if upstream (the developers of a
15 > particular package) release the package, then it is considered to be
16 > 'stable' (insofar as it's releaseable, and Gentoo does not include betas
17 > or development versions in the Portage tree).
18 >
19 > However, the ebuild script that allows the package to compile on Gentoo
20 > may contain errors, so it must be tested. That is what ~ARCH is about;
21 > making sure the provided ebuild compiles the source of the application
22 > correctly and successfully with relationship to the rest of a Gentoo system.
23 >
24 > ~ARCH packages/ebuilds are normally tested for (30? 90?) days, after
25 > which time if no bugs are filed, they generally move into stable. It is
26 > hoped that users who use ~ARCH are willing to file or comment on bugs on
27 > bugs.gentoo.org (b.g.o). The system only works if everybody helps.
30 At the root of my question there was the need to understand why kde
31 3.5.1 packages are still testing even if there aren't critical bugs at
32 bugs.gentoo.org (as far as i was able to find...).
33
34 However, many thanks,
35 Regards,
36 MC