From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kwin-4.1 sometimes leaves konsole undecorated
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:05:54
1 On Friday 15 August 2008 14:14:16 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > that their drivers for the 8XXX and 9XXX series suck (on win and lin) is
3 > only one of their problems.
4
5 I wasn't aware that there was a problem with the windows drivers.
6
7 I thought the suckiness on linux came mostly from the X architecture together
8 with nVidia's approach of window rendering done inhardware and redirected
9 resizes done in software - the opposite approach to most other driver authors.
10 Turns out that composite resizing is done a whole lot more often than was
11 beleived. Plus, the X architecture is not conducive to the hardware
12 calculations always being done in hardware, resulting in frequent fallbacks to
13 software methods, which slows down the content rendering - the very thing that
14 was supposed to be blazingly fast.
15
16 Oddly enough, 3D is very very snappy. It's the 2D stuff that cripples the
17 performance, and on a desktop, 2D is exactly what you want.
21 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com