From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kwin-4.1 sometimes leaves konsole undecorated
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 12:14:21
1 On Freitag, 15. August 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Friday 15 August 2008 12:49:26 b.n. wrote:
3 > > Alan McKinnon ha scritto:
4 > >
5 > > This is the second thread in a few days that reports problems with
6 > > nVidia cards.
7 > >
8 > > Owning a 3rd generation Macbook Pro (nVidia Geforce 8600M GT) with
9 > > Gentoo on, I'm a bit worried. I never noticed significant problems on
10 > > that machine, but I would like to be aware of what's going on.
11 > >
12 > > Is there some link explaining what problems there are with such nVidia
13 > > cards?
14 > >
15 > > m.
16 >
17 > Here you go, all 26 pages of it:
18 >
19 > http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115916
20 >
21 > Then there's also the issue of the GPU silicon failing in shocking numbers.
22 > More details on The Register and Slashdot. Apparently ALL 8 and 9 series
23 > GPUs are affected and it's hitting ALL vendors. It's related to the
24 > manufacture of those chips and they are failing in alarming numbers under
25 > thermal load.
26 >
27 > It's sad actually. This has a very high potential to sink nVidia
28 > completely.
29
30 the inquirer has a long article series about the failing gpu problem.
31
32 In short: all 8XXX chips are bad. Because of the thermal environment laptops
33 are on a different place of the bell curve than desktops. Laptops with nvidia
34 graphic are failing left and right. Whole series of HP, Dell, Asus, laptops
35 are walking ghosts. Desktops might be in the mess soon too.
36
37 http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/13/nvidia-posts-121-
38 million-loss
39
40 http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/12/nvidia-g92s-g94-
41 reportedly
42
43 http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/31/hp-pays-half-nvidia-
44 problems
45
46 http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/07/nvidia-meltdown-blame-
47 game
48
49 http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/09/nvidia-g84-g86-bad
50
51 http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/27/dell-models-defective-
52 nvidia
53
54 that their drivers for the 8XXX and 9XXX series suck (on win and lin) is only
55 one of their problems.