From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kwin-4.1 sometimes leaves konsole undecorated
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 11:28:12
1 On Friday 15 August 2008 12:49:26 b.n. wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon ha scritto:
3
4 > This is the second thread in a few days that reports problems with
5 > nVidia cards.
6 >
7 > Owning a 3rd generation Macbook Pro (nVidia Geforce 8600M GT) with
8 > Gentoo on, I'm a bit worried. I never noticed significant problems on
9 > that machine, but I would like to be aware of what's going on.
10 >
11 > Is there some link explaining what problems there are with such nVidia
12 > cards?
13 >
14 > m.
15
16 Here you go, all 26 pages of it:
17
18 http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115916
19
20 Then there's also the issue of the GPU silicon failing in shocking numbers.
21 More details on The Register and Slashdot. Apparently ALL 8 and 9 series GPUs
22 are affected and it's hitting ALL vendors. It's related to the manufacture of
23 those chips and they are failing in alarming numbers under thermal load.
24
25 It's sad actually. This has a very high potential to sink nVidia completely.
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com