From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: No more FLASH on Linux ?
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 04:17:23
1 On 24/02/12 05:22, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 120223 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 23/02/12 22:49, James wrote:
4 >>> Adobe has announce no more Flash on Linux.
5 >> The real news is "no more Flash on Linux in 5 years".
6 >
7 > Isn't HTML 5 due to replace Flash long before then ?
8
9 It's not compatible with Flash, so no; it can never truly replace it. It
10 can be used as an alternative though. It's just like with Linux vs
11 Windows. Linux cannot replace Windows. It's an alternative.
12
13 My guess is that Flash will remain very popular in the next 5 years, but
14 HTML 5 will see increased use. I don't refer to video here, but to web
15 applications. Video will probably keep Flash alive for a very long
16 time, since HTML5 leaves it up to the browser what video formats the
17 user can watch. Flash on the other hand guarantees web designers that a
18 PC user can watch their videos. Having a guarantee that something works
19 is a very powerful incentive; you do not abandon something that works.