From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 02:41:03
1 On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 18:20:01 -0500
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > What do you do if somebody blocks progress in your overlay structure?
5 > You start another one.
6
7 Sounds like something that can work, survival of the [insert anything].
8
9 > What do you do if somebody blocks progress in the current Gentoo
10 > project structure? You either ask the Council for help, or start
11 > another project.
12
13 Survival of the Council once the amount of projects gets nears infinity.
14
15 > You have just as many options under the status quo, and actually more.
16 >
17 > Now, what you would get is the ability to have more variety in quality
18 > standards, since general QA/etc would not apply.
19
20 Quantity and Quality rarely go together; consider how we're investing in
21 Quality in a time we might benefit more from Quantity, also vice versa.
22
23 > Well, then by your argument there is nothing wrong, since they're
24 > already in the distributed model. There is nothing I can do about
25 > people feeling alienated.
26
27 We can bring attention to the overlays; eg. summarize them on the wiki.
28
29 > If you want to contribute to Gentoo, then do it. If somebody blocks
30 > your progress then ask for help.
31 >
32 > What I can't stand is people moping about their feelings being hurt
33 > from umpteen years ago. I can't go back and fix the past. Get over
34 > it - contribute or don't.
35
36 Get born, make mistakes, learn from them, improve the future, die happy.
37
38 > The games team has ZERO power over any dev doing anything to any
39 > package in the tree. That was the outcome of the most recent Council
40 > decision. We didn't disband the team because we thought that having a
41 > team focused on games wasn't a bad idea, but so far nobody else seems
42 > all that interested so it seems as likely as not that there won't be a
43 > games team in the future.
44 >
45 > How is that not doing something radical? What more do you want us to
46 > do?
47
48 Preparations for the (un)expected future we're about to experience.
49
50 > > It's not about elitist old-timers, it's about a more dynamic model
51 > > that has low tolerance for
52 > > * bugs being open since 8+ years, because no one bothers to
53 > > review/change stuff (check nethack bug)
54 > > * territorial behaviour
55 > > * slacking devs slacking so hard, but not stepping down
56 >
57 > The reason the nethack bug is still open is because nobody cares
58 > enough to fix it. ANYBODY can make themselves a maintainer of Nethack
59 > right now and fix the bug. The reason that the Nethack bug is still
60 > open is because you apparently care enough about it to post about it,
61 > but not enough to fix it. I'm not going to fix it, because I don't
62 > use Nethack.
63 >
64 > The issues you bring up were an issue in the past, and nobody really
65 > has any tolerance for it these days. You keep bringing up past issues
66 > that have been fixed, which really sounds to me like a demonstration
67 > that we're running out of real current issues to fix.
68 >
69 > If there is somebody blocking progress on something, by all means
70 > point it out. However, it needs to be a case where somebody is
71 > actually trying to do something, not just complaints about all the
72 > great stuff that could get done if somebody cared enough to even try.
73
74 This emphasizes on a bad example from a collection of vague statements;
75 while we ignore that, what does it have to do with the dynamic model?
76
77 > [...] You're basically coming across as being impossible to satisfy,
78 > because you bring up vague complaints without anything that anybody
79 > can act upon, [...]
80
81 Content on gentoo-user is more likely to be demand than it is supply.