From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 23:20:14
1 On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 5:44 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 11/22/2014 11:20 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Nobody can block progress under the current model. If you feel
5 >> otherwise, please point them out so that they can be dealt with.
8 > They can block progress and they do. And by saying we allow conflicting
9 > ideas in one repository we are even making it worse.
10 >
11 > The council is a workaround to make the broken project structure not
12 > look too bad.
13
14 What do you do if somebody blocks progress in your overlay structure?
15 You start another one.
16
17 What do you do if somebody blocks progress in the current Gentoo
18 project structure? You either ask the Council for help, or start
19 another project.
20
21 You have just as many options under the status quo, and actually more.
22
23 Now, what you would get is the ability to have more variety in quality
24 standards, since general QA/etc would not apply.
27 > I strongly disagree. I know a fair amount of games overlays where people
28 > do work on games ebuilds. They just don't give a sh*t anymore to try to
29 > get that stuff into the main tree, because they were alienated long ago.
30
31 Well, then by your argument there is nothing wrong, since they're
32 already in the distributed model. There is nothing I can do about
33 people feeling alienated.
34
35 If you want to contribute to Gentoo, then do it. If somebody blocks
36 your progress then ask for help.
37
38 What I can't stand is people moping about their feelings being hurt
39 from umpteen years ago. I can't go back and fix the past. Get over
40 it - contribute or don't.
43 > The image of the games team is so bad, that not even gentoo devs bother
44 > anymore (except me, uh). Yet neither the council, nor comrel has done
45 > anything radical, except giving recommendations, asking for them to
46 > elect a new lead, blah blah.
47
48 The games team has ZERO power over any dev doing anything to any
49 package in the tree. That was the outcome of the most recent Council
50 decision. We didn't disband the team because we thought that having a
51 team focused on games wasn't a bad idea, but so far nobody else seems
52 all that interested so it seems as likely as not that there won't be a
53 games team in the future.
54
55 How is that not doing something radical? What more do you want us to do?
58 > It's not about elitist old-timers, it's about a more dynamic model that
59 > has low tolerance for
60 > * bugs being open since 8+ years, because no one bothers to
61 > review/change stuff (check nethack bug)
62 > * territorial behaviour
63 > * slacking devs slacking so hard, but not stepping down
64
65 The reason the nethack bug is still open is because nobody cares
66 enough to fix it. ANYBODY can make themselves a maintainer of Nethack
67 right now and fix the bug. The reason that the Nethack bug is still
68 open is because you apparently care enough about it to post about it,
69 but not enough to fix it. I'm not going to fix it, because I don't
70 use Nethack.
71
72 The issues you bring up were an issue in the past, and nobody really
73 has any tolerance for it these days. You keep bringing up past issues
74 that have been fixed, which really sounds to me like a demonstration
75 that we're running out of real current issues to fix.
76
77 If there is somebody blocking progress on something, by all means
78 point it out. However, it needs to be a case where somebody is
79 actually trying to do something, not just complaints about all the
80 great stuff that could get done if somebody cared enough to even try.
83 > In addition, this model requires a workflow that is long overdue,
84 > including proper VCS like git or mercurial and a review culture. None of
85 > this happens on a larger scale. Instead we are stuck with tools like
86 > bugzilla for ebuild reviews and push our happy ebuilds to the CVS
87 > repository.
88
89 Sounds great. Looking forward to your contributions to the git
90 migration, which by all indications is just about done. Maybe you
91 could get started on a gerrit front-end or something.
94 > So now guess again why people don't bother, because:
95 > * have to become gentoo devs over a period of 6 months or so, then
96 > realize they are stuck with territorial crap, people ignoring each other
97 > and have to appeal to the council, comrel or whoever multiple times
98 > before something happens?
99
100 Most of this stuff is fixed, and every issue that has come up in the
101 last year has been resolved in the course of a single Council meeting.
102 Please cite an example to the contrary. Having attended just about
103 every Council meeting in the last year I can cite plenty of cases
104 where stuff like this was fixed.
105
106 > * or they have to write bugs reports on bugzilla, attach ebuilds
107 > manually, get a partly review in a timeframe of 9 months if they are
108 > lucky, re-push attachments, start again
109 > * or they can try to contribute to sunrise which may be simirlarly slow
110 > (mind you, I've been a sunrise dev, so we can talk about that if you like)
111 > * or they just start their own overlay and stop caring to collaborate
112 > with gentoo devs
113
114 You realize that the last point is basically your proposed solution.
115 If they don't want to do this today, why would they want to do it
116 tomorrow? They're not going to be collaborating with Gentoo devs
117 under your model, since there won't be all that many of them to
118 collaborate with.
119
120 > * If they are very lucky, then their favorite project already uses an
121 > overlay-workflow (e.g. haskell, science). And those projects usually are
122 > so slow with moving their overlay ebuilds into the tree, that it's
123 > almost useless doing so. They should just stop and focus on their overlays.
126 The problem is that most of the overlays don't support everything in
127 the main tree. For example, right now it is REALLY painful to run qt5
128 on a stable box, because the qt5 overlay just introduced changes
129 making it incompatible with stable qt4. That sort of thing is likely
130 to get worse rather than better in a distributed model.
131
132 Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more overlay support. I'm all for
133 reform when there is something to reform. However, in all your
134 complaints about developers causing conflicts you're actually becoming
135 part of the problem. You're basically coming across as being
136 impossible to satisfy, because you bring up vague complaints without
137 anything that anybody can act upon, and I find it rather frustrating
138 personally as these sorts of issues are something I'm really committed
139 to fixing.
142 Rich