From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 22:51:01
1 On 11/23/2014 12:20 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 5:44 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 11/22/2014 11:20 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Nobody can block progress under the current model. If you feel
6 >>> otherwise, please point them out so that they can be dealt with.
7 >>>
8 >>
9 >> They can block progress and they do. And by saying we allow conflicting
10 >> ideas in one repository we are even making it worse.
11 >>
12 >> The council is a workaround to make the broken project structure not
13 >> look too bad.
14 >
15 > What do you do if somebody blocks progress in your overlay structure?
16 > You start another one.
17 >
18 > What do you do if somebody blocks progress in the current Gentoo
19 > project structure? You either ask the Council for help, or start
20 > another project.
21 >
22 > You have just as many options under the status quo, and actually more.
25 Why would that be? We have a centralized _culture_. All this is
26 basically about culture, not just about tools.
27
28 So regrouping is not as easy as you make it sound. Totally not. I don't
29 like ruby eclasses and their virtuals. What can I do? Fix them? No, I
30 cannot. Stop saying I can fix everything I please. That is incorrect and
31 our model makes it even more complicated, because all that stuff is part
32 of the tree.
33
34 You say I can fix the nethack bug? Well, I talked with various people on
35 how to do that, the basic idea was to stop using the games eclass. That
36 is NOT possible unless you suggest we break QA standards and cause major
37 inconsistencies in our tree. (the other possible fix just slipped my
38 radar and will probably happen soon)
41 >> I strongly disagree. I know a fair amount of games overlays where people
42 >> do work on games ebuilds. They just don't give a sh*t anymore to try to
43 >> get that stuff into the main tree, because they were alienated long ago.
44 >
45 > Well, then by your argument there is nothing wrong, since they're
46 > already in the distributed model. There is nothing I can do about
47 > people feeling alienated.
50 First of all they are not really in a properly designed distributed
51 model as I described just because they run an overlay. Most of them end
52 with ::mynick, are randomly themed and not reviewed.
53
54 Again: this is a culture thing and we have to make ourselves some
55 policies on how this can work well.
56
57 Random overlay != distributed model.
58
59 Second thing: sure can we do something about people feeling alienated. A
60 lot. We can:
61 * abandon CVS finally
62 * have proper contribution channels (NOT bugzilla)
63 * kickban major assholes from the community, no matter how efficient
64 they are
65 * kickban people from IRC channels that make fun of your first ebuild
66 (that's my first experience with gentoo btw... that guy is now a gentoo
67 dev as well)
68 * have a _working_ comrel project
69 * fix project internal communication... it's unbelievably bad
70 * stop the way we are recruiting, it's utterly tedious
71 * ...
72
73 > If you want to contribute to Gentoo, then do it. If somebody blocks
74 > your progress then ask for help.
77 You don't understand. It's not just about blocking progress, it is about
78 _diverging_ ideas that cannot sanely be given as alternatives in a
79 SINGLE REPOSITORY.
80
81 > What I can't stand is people moping about their feelings being hurt
82 > from umpteen years ago. I can't go back and fix the past. Get over
83 > it - contribute or don't.
86 This is rude. Please stick to the topic, it's not about my feelings.
89 >> The image of the games team is so bad, that not even gentoo devs bother
90 >> anymore (except me, uh). Yet neither the council, nor comrel has done
91 >> anything radical, except giving recommendations, asking for them to
92 >> elect a new lead, blah blah.
93 >
94 > The games team has ZERO power over any dev doing anything to any
95 > package in the tree. That was the outcome of the most recent Council
96 > decision. We didn't disband the team because we thought that having a
97 > team focused on games wasn't a bad idea, but so far nobody else seems
98 > all that interested so it seems as likely as not that there won't be a
99 > games team in the future.
100 >
101 > How is that not doing something radical? What more do you want us to do?
104 Again: there are various people who have a different concepts of how
105 games in gentoo should look like. So we can either start breaking tree
106 consistency (and I hope QA will kickban us for doing so, because that's
107 exactly their job) or we just stop doing everything centralized and let
108 things happen... which concept is the most popular one will then turn
109 out by itself!
110
111 That's how opensource works. Writing stuff modular, so that people don't
112 have to fork the kernel, just because they don't like the icon theme.
115 >> It's not about elitist old-timers, it's about a more dynamic model that
116 >> has low tolerance for
117 >> * bugs being open since 8+ years, because no one bothers to
118 >> review/change stuff (check nethack bug)
119 >> * territorial behaviour
120 >> * slacking devs slacking so hard, but not stepping down
121 >
122 > The reason the nethack bug is still open is because nobody cares
123 > enough to fix it. ANYBODY can make themselves a maintainer of Nethack
124 > right now and fix the bug. The reason that the Nethack bug is still
125 > open is because you apparently care enough about it to post about it,
126 > but not enough to fix it. I'm not going to fix it, because I don't
127 > use Nethack.
128 >
129 > The issues you bring up were an issue in the past, and nobody really
130 > has any tolerance for it these days. You keep bringing up past issues
131 > that have been fixed, which really sounds to me like a demonstration
132 > that we're running out of real current issues to fix.
133 >
134 > If there is somebody blocking progress on something, by all means
135 > point it out. However, it needs to be a case where somebody is
136 > actually trying to do something, not just complaints about all the
137 > great stuff that could get done if somebody cared enough to even try.
140 You are being specific again, looking for a person, a project or
141 whatever that's not behaving.
142
143 I am looking at the contribution culture and our model and see that it's
144 not working and it's getting worse.
145
146 We are talking about two different things, apparently.
149 > The problem is that most of the overlays don't support everything in
150 > the main tree. For example, right now it is REALLY painful to run qt5
151 > on a stable box, because the qt5 overlay just introduced changes
152 > making it incompatible with stable qt4. That sort of thing is likely
153 > to get worse rather than better in a distributed model.
156 Low quality ebuilds, miscommunication and the like happen regularly in
157 our current closed-fashion gentoo project. I can only see communication
158 improve in a distributed model, because it CANNOT ever work without it
159 (cause there are not 200 people with push access, lol).
160
161 > Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more overlay support. I'm all for
162 > reform when there is something to reform. However, in all your
163 > complaints about developers causing conflicts you're actually becoming
164 > part of the problem. You're basically coming across as being
165 > impossible to satisfy, because you bring up vague complaints without
166 > anything that anybody can act upon, and I find it rather frustrating
167 > personally as these sorts of issues are something I'm really committed
168 > to fixing.
171 Again: you are confusing a specific incident with my proposal of a
172 distributed model. I was just bringing it up as an _additional_ argument
173 why I find the distributed approach more interesting... because it makes
174 it easier to regroup and abandon toxic people without having to fight
175 them for years.
176
177 Nothing of what I say is vague. It is already implemented and I pointed
178 it out. If you refuse to look at it or recognize it, then that's not my
179 fault.