From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 23:24:45
1 On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 5:50 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 11/23/2014 12:20 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >>
4 >> You have just as many options under the status quo, and actually more.
7 > Why would that be? We have a centralized _culture_. All this is
8 > basically about culture, not just about tools.
9
10 Gentoo has a fairly decentralized culture. Heck, we have three
11 different udev implementations.
12
13 You say tomAYto, I say toMAHto. :) Let's focus on things that are a
14 bit less subjective.
17 > So regrouping is not as easy as you make it sound. Totally not. I don't
18 > like ruby eclasses and their virtuals. What can I do? Fix them? No, I
19 > cannot. Stop saying I can fix everything I please. That is incorrect and
20 > our model makes it even more complicated, because all that stuff is part
21 > of the tree.
22
23 What would you do under your proposal? You'd start a new repository
24 with your own set of ruby packages.
25
26 What would you do under the current state? You'd fork the ruby eclass
27 and all the ruby packages.
28
29 Yes, you're allowed to do that. The thing that keeps you from doing
30 it is the same thing that will keep you from starting a new ruby
31 repository - it is a lot of work.
34 > You say I can fix the nethack bug? Well, I talked with various people on
35 > how to do that, the basic idea was to stop using the games eclass. That
36 > is NOT possible unless you suggest we break QA standards and cause major
37 > inconsistencies in our tree. (the other possible fix just slipped my
38 > radar and will probably happen soon)
39
40 Just stop using the eclass. Cite the QA standards that this would
41 violate. The council ruled a month ago that games are free to use the
42 eclass or not as they wish.
43
44 As long as you actually commit to maintaining the Nethack package, you
45 can do this.
48 > Again: this is a culture thing and we have to make ourselves some
49 > policies on how this can work well.
50
51 The policies ALREADY allow you to do all this stuff. What policy
52 specifically needs to be changed?
53
54 > * abandon CVS finally
55
56 Already underway.
57
58 > * have proper contribution channels (NOT bugzilla)
59
60 By all means create it. Lots of us are interested in this.
61
62 > * kickban major assholes from the community, no matter how efficient
63 > they are
64
65 Proposals welcome. Hint, things will go much better if you volunteer
66 to do the work the assholes are doing... It isn't like we aren't all
67 tired of this stuff, but if we go booting half the devs then the
68 distro will basically die.
69
70 > * kickban people from IRC channels that make fun of your first ebuild
71 > (that's my first experience with gentoo btw... that guy is now a gentoo
72 > dev as well)
73
74 Flag down a mod when this happens. If you can't find any, then
75 volunteer to be a mod. IRC is a realtime medium, so it is very
76 manpower-intensive.
77
78 > * have a _working_ comrel project
79
80 Again, proposals welcome. Half the problem with comrel is that
81 everybody gets so sick of all the second-guessing that they give up.
82 People would rather work on stuff that is interesting and not deal
83 with infighting. When we tried to institute the proctors we managed
84 to drive them away in a day.
85
86 Everybody wants a working comrel, which generally means they want to
87 get rid of all the people they don't like, and not have any
88 restrictions on their own behavior.
89
90 > * fix project internal communication... it's unbelievably bad
91
92 What is wrong with it, specifically?
93
94 > * stop the way we are recruiting, it's utterly tedious
95
96 Well, then don't participate in it. By all means offer improvements.
99 > You don't understand. It's not just about blocking progress, it is about
100 > _diverging_ ideas that cannot sanely be given as alternatives in a
101 > SINGLE REPOSITORY.
102
103 What is the difference between 1 million repositories on 1 million
104 rsync servers and 1 million subdirectories on 1 rsync server?
105 Administratively there is a difference, of course, but in terms of
106 capability there is actually no difference. They're just different
107 namespaces.
110 >> What I can't stand is people moping about their feelings being hurt
111 >> from umpteen years ago. I can't go back and fix the past. Get over
112 >> it - contribute or don't.
115 > This is rude. Please stick to the topic, it's not about my feelings.
116
117 It wasn't directed at you specifically. I also didn't criticize
118 anybody for having feelings. I criticized people for moping about
119 them.
120
121 It is just incredibly demotivating, and completely unactionable. If
122 somebody a month ago gave you some misinformation about Nethack, I
123 can't fix that. I gave you the correct information above.
126 > Again: there are various people who have a different concepts of how
127 > games in gentoo should look like. So we can either start breaking tree
128 > consistency (and I hope QA will kickban us for doing so, because that's
129 > exactly their job) or we just stop doing everything centralized and let
130 > things happen... which concept is the most popular one will then turn
131 > out by itself!
132
133 The council already said that games do not need to be in the games
134 herd. It is not within the QA team's discretion to decide otherwise.
135
136 BTW, about nethack: you can have a package named nethack2 if you
137 want. I can add another one called nethack3. GLEP 39 specifically
138 states that projects are allowed to compete.
141 >> If there is somebody blocking progress on something, by all means
142 >> point it out. However, it needs to be a case where somebody is
143 >> actually trying to do something, not just complaints about all the
144 >> great stuff that could get done if somebody cared enough to even try.
147 > You are being specific again, looking for a person, a project or
148 > whatever that's not behaving.
149 >
150 > I am looking at the contribution culture and our model and see that it's
151 > not working and it's getting worse.
152 >
153 > We are talking about two different things, apparently.
154
155 You're trying to argue that no single thing is wrong with Gentoo while
156 apparently everything is wrong with Gentoo. If there is SO much wrong
157 with our culture, surely you can point out a SINGLE EXAMPLE?
158
159 You're making very subjective arguments, and it is very hard to
160 rationally discuss problems in Gentoo when you can't point to anything
161 specific. Your only specific example was Nethack, and it is already
162 obsolete.
163
164 Your point is that we have huge problems. My point is that there
165 aren't large problems and when they are pointed out they get quickly
166 fixed. I can cite examples, like the games project. If you want to
167 persuade me that it is worth making some huge change to Gentoo, then
168 you need to provide specific examples of things that the status quo
169 hasn't been able to address that a new model would address.
173 >> The problem is that most of the overlays don't support everything in
174 >> the main tree. For example, right now it is REALLY painful to run qt5
175 >> on a stable box, because the qt5 overlay just introduced changes
176 >> making it incompatible with stable qt4. That sort of thing is likely
177 >> to get worse rather than better in a distributed model.
180 > Low quality ebuilds, miscommunication and the like happen regularly in
181 > our current closed-fashion gentoo project. I can only see communication
182 > improve in a distributed model, because it CANNOT ever work without it
183 > (cause there are not 200 people with push access, lol).
184
185 So, what is stopping you from making it happen?
188 >> Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more overlay support. I'm all for
189 >> reform when there is something to reform. However, in all your
190 >> complaints about developers causing conflicts you're actually becoming
191 >> part of the problem. You're basically coming across as being
192 >> impossible to satisfy, because you bring up vague complaints without
193 >> anything that anybody can act upon, and I find it rather frustrating
194 >> personally as these sorts of issues are something I'm really committed
195 >> to fixing.
198 > Again: you are confusing a specific incident with my proposal of a
199 > distributed model.
200
201 I FULLY support having more distributed repositories. The part of
202 your argument that I object to is your claim that we have these huge
203 cultural issues that prevent people from working on things they want
204 to work on, or that we shouldn't allow people to work on packages in
205 the main tree.
208 Rich