From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 22:44:17
1 On 11/22/2014 11:20 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 1:54 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> No one would care in such a distributed model if there is one person
5 >> blocking progress somewhere. They would just move on, regroup around a
6 >> new overlay and start working there and let that guy/project rot forever.
9 > Nobody can block progress under the current model. If you feel
10 > otherwise, please point them out so that they can be dealt with.
13 They can block progress and they do. And by saying we allow conflicting
14 ideas in one repository we are even making it worse.
15
16 The council is a workaround to make the broken project structure not
17 look too bad.
20 >> We don't need more authority, we need less... and we need more actual
21 >> opensource workflow. Our tools, our organizational model and our
22 >> workflow are ALL ancient. And they don't seem to work very well, do they?
23 >
24 > Gentoo is already fairly non-authoritative where the main tree is
25 > concerned. I'm all for more overlay support, but I doubt it is going
26 > to fix the kinds of issues you're bringing up.
27 >
28 > The problem with java is that nobody wants to work on it. Lots of
29 > people want to talk about working on it, but nobody is writing
30 > ebuilds.
31 >
32 > The problem with games is that nobody wants to work on those either.
33 > Lots of people like to talk about the games project blocking progress,
34 > but now that this has been eliminated, there isn't some flood of new
35 > games ebuilds.
38 I strongly disagree. I know a fair amount of games overlays where people
39 do work on games ebuilds. They just don't give a sh*t anymore to try to
40 get that stuff into the main tree, because they were alienated long ago.
41
42 The image of the games team is so bad, that not even gentoo devs bother
43 anymore (except me, uh). Yet neither the council, nor comrel has done
44 anything radical, except giving recommendations, asking for them to
45 elect a new lead, blah blah.
46
47 In a distributed model this project would just have been abandoned by
48 the community 8 years ago and people would have started a new fresh
49 overlay. Currently this all sucks, because it will conflict with in-tree
50 ebuilds and because we don't have good enough tools for this kind of model.
51
52 > People love to talk about elitist old-timers blocking progress, but it
53 > seems to me that many of the old-timers don't do a whole lot of
54 > anything. I think the complaint is really that other people aren't
55 > doing the work we want them to do.
58 It's not about elitist old-timers, it's about a more dynamic model that
59 has low tolerance for
60 * bugs being open since 8+ years, because no one bothers to
61 review/change stuff (check nethack bug)
62 * territorial behaviour
63 * slacking devs slacking so hard, but not stepping down
64
65 In addition, this model requires a workflow that is long overdue,
66 including proper VCS like git or mercurial and a review culture. None of
67 this happens on a larger scale. Instead we are stuck with tools like
68 bugzilla for ebuild reviews and push our happy ebuilds to the CVS
69 repository.
70
71 So now guess again why people don't bother, because:
72 * have to become gentoo devs over a period of 6 months or so, then
73 realize they are stuck with territorial crap, people ignoring each other
74 and have to appeal to the council, comrel or whoever multiple times
75 before something happens?
76 * or they have to write bugs reports on bugzilla, attach ebuilds
77 manually, get a partly review in a timeframe of 9 months if they are
78 lucky, re-push attachments, start again
79 * or they can try to contribute to sunrise which may be simirlarly slow
80 (mind you, I've been a sunrise dev, so we can talk about that if you like)
81 * or they just start their own overlay and stop caring to collaborate
82 with gentoo devs
83 * If they are very lucky, then their favorite project already uses an
84 overlay-workflow (e.g. haskell, science). And those projects usually are
85 so slow with moving their overlay ebuilds into the tree, that it's
86 almost useless doing so. They should just stop and focus on their overlays.