From: Bryan Gardiner <bog@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE="jpeg" not part of hardened/linux/x86 profile
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 15:49:25
1 On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 16:07:56 +0100
2 Jorge Martínez López <jorgeml@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hi there!
5 >
6 > I run Hardened in my desktop and it mostly works.
7 >
8 > When I switched profiles I looked at which use flags changed using
9 > "emerge -pudvN world" and then I enabled them manually using ufed.
10 >
11 > With Hardened forget using Skype. PaX will kill multimedia
12 > applications such as Totem, use paxctl to solve this. I have some
13 > issues with Phython applications such as Gwibber and Hotot, the only
14 > way to solve it seems to use paxctl with the python binary, which I am
15 > not willing to.
16 >
17 > Greetings,
18
19 +1 for using Hardened as a desktop. Skype should work with PaX now;
20 it used to need an exact paxctl command to get running but its ebuild
21 now sets that.
22
23 Is there a nice way that you can un-pax-mark Python(/etc.) through
24 Portage, or do you have to do it manually? (And does that horribly
25 break Portage?) Personally I'm a little concerned about the Firefox +
26 Chromium pax-marks; one day I'll get grsec set up...
27
28 It would be nice if there were desktop Hardened profiles though. The
29 only reason I maintain a full set of USE flags in make.conf is so that
30 it is portable between hardened and regular.
31
32 Cheers,
33 Bryan