From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] smartctrl drive error @60%
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 21:20:55
1 On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 01:44:23 PM Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
3 > >> ANY hard drive can fail the day
4 > >>
5 > >> after you buy it, a month after you buy it, and so on, though
6 > >> obviously the probability of a particular drive failing at any point
7 > >> in time may vary by what you pay for it.
8 > >
9 > > or if it was meant to be used the way you use it.
10 >
11 > Like I said, I'm certainly interested in any actual data that supports
12 > that drives sold to run 24x7 last any longer than desktop drives when
13 > run 24x7.
14
15 Not hard data, but while still using desktop drives, I had a drive failure on
16 average once or twice a year. Now with enterprise 24x7 drives, the failure
17 rate has dropped to 1 in the past 3 years.
18
19 That is, for both, using proper UPS equipment.
20 Additionally, I noticed a definite speed increase after switching to
21 enterprise disks.
24 Joost