From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] smartctrl drive error @60%
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 17:45:17
1 On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Am 25.06.2014 19:06, schrieb Rich Freeman:
4 >> Honestly, I think it makes far more sense to build a fault-tolerant
5 >> setup than to try to avoid faults by spending more on the parts. I've
6 >> only run desktop hard drives on my 24x7 RAID. If they die I replace
7 >> them under warranty
8 > so you are ripping of other customers?
11 I certainly am not aware of any warranty terms I'm violating. I just
12 spot checked a drive warranty and it makes no mention of excluding
13 continuous use, and the drive specifications do not contain any
14 exclusions for continuous use.
15
16 The SMART data in the drives I've returned contains both the number of
17 power cycles and power-on time, and I've yet to have a manufacturer
18 question either.
19
20 To exclude continuous operation their warranty would have to specify
21 just how many hours per day their drives can be operated for.
24 >> ANY hard drive can fail the day
25 >> after you buy it, a month after you buy it, and so on, though
26 >> obviously the probability of a particular drive failing at any point
27 >> in time may vary by what you pay for it.
28 >
29 > or if it was meant to be used the way you use it.
30
31 Like I said, I'm certainly interested in any actual data that supports
32 that drives sold to run 24x7 last any longer than desktop drives when
33 run 24x7.
34
35 Rich