From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] smartctrl drive error @60%
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 01:16:35
1 On 06/25/2014 10:44 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 > Like I said, I'm certainly interested in any actual data that supports
4 > that drives sold to run 24x7 last any longer than desktop drives when
5 > run 24x7.
8 Anecdotal, but...
9
10 In 2008 I bought four 24x7 drives (500GB) and eight regular drives to be
11 used in raid. Out of the eight regular drives, six failed before 4 years
12 was up.
13
14 All of the 24x7 drives are still in use (although I don't remember which
15 machine(s) they're in now), six years later.
16
17 All Seagate.
18
19 I initially did do warranty replacement on the failed drives (all drives
20 had 5 year warranty back then), and out of the six replacements, four
21 failed a little over three months in.
22
23 At that point I went and bought a real battery backed raid card
24 (computer still has a UPS) with WD enterprise drives and no hiccups of
25 any kind in about two years. And disk performance is way, way up.
26
27 Dan