From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] smartctrl drive error @60%
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 03:54:43
1 Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 06/25/2014 10:44 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> Like I said, I'm certainly interested in any actual data that supports
4 >> that drives sold to run 24x7 last any longer than desktop drives when
5 >> run 24x7.
6 >>
7 > Anecdotal, but...
8 >
9 > In 2008 I bought four 24x7 drives (500GB) and eight regular drives to be
10 > used in raid. Out of the eight regular drives, six failed before 4 years
11 > was up.
12 >
13 > All of the 24x7 drives are still in use (although I don't remember which
14 > machine(s) they're in now), six years later.
15 >
16 > All Seagate.
17 >
18 > I initially did do warranty replacement on the failed drives (all drives
19 > had 5 year warranty back then), and out of the six replacements, four
20 > failed a little over three months in.
21 >
22 > At that point I went and bought a real battery backed raid card
23 > (computer still has a UPS) with WD enterprise drives and no hiccups of
24 > any kind in about two years. And disk performance is way, way up.
25 >
26 > Dan
30 Curious. I hope I don't start a flame war here. I have had WD, Seagate
31 and I think there is a Samsung here somewhere, may be the one that is
32 rolling over on its back now. The one drive that failed a few years ago
33 was a WD drive. That said, all the other WD drives I have had just got
34 to small to really use, and slow when SATA came out. I'm partial to WD
35 and Seagate still since I got good long term use out of those. Based on
36 your experience, you tend to be of the same opinion?
37
38 Allan, your situation should involve a lot of hard drives. Any
39 thoughts? Neil, you have a nice big opinion on this?
40
41 I realize that any brand of drive will break eventually. That's one
42 reason I don't hold the one failure I have had against WD. I got a lot
43 of use out of that drive and it did let me know it was going to die,
44 like real soon. I'm going to duck now. :/
45
46 Dale
47