From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo is the best linux distro
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 15:17:52
1 On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 16:00:34 +0200
4 > Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Michael Mol writes:
7 > >
8 > > > On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk
9 > > > <mailto:neil@××××××××××.uk>> wrote:
10 > >
11 > > > Instead we get, try USE="-*" :P
12 > > >
13 > > > "Try MAKEOPTS='-j1'"
14 > >
15 > > Which in fact often helps... especially for me, I am using
16 > > MAKEOPTS="-j --load=4", and I often experience build problems that
17 > > are not reproducible with a fixed number of jobs, regardless how
18 > > large.
19 >
20 > Yes indeed, and that one is good advice.
21 >
22 > Not every Makefile out there is safe for -j > 1, so running it as one
23 > job is valid debugging. It's the correct thing to do with weird build
24 > failures as it tests if a specific condition is true or not.
27 Yeah, except I've already gone that route, or otherwise ruled it out,
28 before I ask. That's why it's grating. (Even more grating when I have to
29 spend the time building a package again, just to convince someone that, no,
30 it's not MAKEOPTS that's the problem.)
31
32 It's like "Have you tried turning it off and back on again".
36 > > > "Turn off distcc"
37 > >
38 > > "revdep-rebuild"
39 > >
40 > > And "emerge -e world && perl-cleaner --all && python-updater &&
41 > > lafilefixer --justfixit".
42 >
43 > Another example of proper debugging. A wise troubleshooter will first
44 > verify that all relevant maintenance and consistency factors have been
45 > done first before doing extensive troubleshooting.
46 >
47 > The last one, "lafilefixer --justfixit" is especially valuable as it
48 > gets right of a huge gigantic steaming pile of crap that a) should
49 > never have been there at all in the first place and b) if it's causing
50 > the problem is almost impossible to pin down without lots of work. So
51 > even if b) is not true, you still get the huge benefit of a)
57 > --
58 > Alan McKinnon
59 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
66 :wq