From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo is the best linux distro
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 15:01:52
1 On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 16:00:34 +0200
2 Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > Michael Mol writes:
5 >
6 > > On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk
7 > > <mailto:neil@××××××××××.uk>> wrote:
8 >
9 > > Instead we get, try USE="-*" :P
10 > >
11 > > "Try MAKEOPTS='-j1'"
12 >
13 > Which in fact often helps... especially for me, I am using
14 > MAKEOPTS="-j --load=4", and I often experience build problems that
15 > are not reproducible with a fixed number of jobs, regardless how
16 > large.
17
18 Yes indeed, and that one is good advice.
19
20 Not every Makefile out there is safe for -j > 1, so running it as one
21 job is valid debugging. It's the correct thing to do with weird build
22 failures as it tests if a specific condition is true or not.
26 > > "Turn off distcc"
27 >
28 > "revdep-rebuild"
29 >
30 > And "emerge -e world && perl-cleaner --all && python-updater &&
31 > lafilefixer --justfixit".
32
33 Another example of proper debugging. A wise troubleshooter will first
34 verify that all relevant maintenance and consistency factors have been
35 done first before doing extensive troubleshooting.
36
37 The last one, "lafilefixer --justfixit" is especially valuable as it
38 gets right of a huge gigantic steaming pile of crap that a) should
39 never have been there at all in the first place and b) if it's causing
40 the problem is almost impossible to pin down without lots of work. So
41 even if b) is not true, you still get the huge benefit of a)
48 Alan McKinnon
49 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com