From: Jeff Rollin <jeff.rollin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Eez a byootiful dai todai
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 20:58:39
1 In the last episode, Richard Cox wrote:
2 RC> On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 11:43:22AM +0100, Jeff Rollin wrote:
3 RC> > So, preinstalled Linux is not important to you? Mind explaining why?
4 RC>
5 RC> I'd have to say its definatly not important to me. As it is, I never use
6 a 'generic' install, so I wouldn't want to have a preinstalled version.
7 Just means that there are going to be a bunch of factory default root
8 passwords out there coming off the Dell assembly line. (I guess they could
9 randomize it or prompt for a new password on first boot, but my guess is
10 they won't). RC>
11 RC> So being that this is a Gentoo list, I'm going to go with a guess that
12 nobody on here has the same install between them, because.. well its Gentoo
13 :) RC>
14
15 True enough - however I support this because it gets rid of the Windows tax.
16
17 RC> And second have you bought a windows machine from DELL anytime recently,
18 they load them full of their crap and you pretty much have to do a fresh
19 install anyways to get rid of it. I'm willing to bet they'll do the same to
20 Linux preinstall as well. RC>
21
22 Again, all true - but if we can get well-supported Linux-compatible laptops
23 from mainstream vendors without the Windows tax, imo even if we have to
24 install Gentoo ourselves, it's all good.
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list