From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: grub2 defaults
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 14:43:32
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
4 > > GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Gentoo"
5 > > GRUB_DEFAULT=kernel-3.13.6-gentoo
6 > > GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=3
7 > > GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
8 > > GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768
9
10 > > /boot shows:
11 > > kernel-3.13.0-gentoo
12 > > kernel-3.13.0-gentoo-r1
13 > > kernel-3.13.1-gentoo
14 > > kernel-3.13.6-gentoo
15 > > kernel-3.13.6B-gentoo
16 > > kernel-3.13.7-gentoo
17
18 > > So when I get the Grub2 (ascii) boot menu and just select the
19 > > default, it boots kernel-3.13.7-gentoo, despite
20 > > 'kernel-3.13.6-gentoo' being set in as the default for Grub2?
21
22 > DEFAULT, if not set to a number, matches the title or --id of a menu
23 > entry, not the kernel name (you could have several entries with the same
24 > kernel).
25 Do you have syntax examples for --id, or is that just a generic descriptor?
26
27 So would the option for local kernel versioning built into the
28 kernel be recognized by grub2 to distinguishing between differnent
29 (locale) versions of the same kernel version?
30
31 menuconfig--> General Setup--> Local version-append to kernel release
32 ???
33
34 OR:
35 So how do I know which number matches which kernel, since using the
36 name does not match them up as desired to select to boot?
37
38 > Yes, GRUB2 can use themes. The starfield theme is included, uncomment the
39 > GRUB_THEME setting in the defaults file.
40
41 ok. I'll give this whirl and see what I come up with that works
42 for my kernel experiments....
43
44 thx,
45 James