From: George Roberts <georoberts@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] GDM not bringing up log in screen
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 05:09:45
1 About a month or so ago I lost the ability to use my GDM to log in. I
2 can log in using XDM which has to be called from the command line. When
3 my system is booting it loads gdm, but when it finishes booting instead
4 of starting X, it leaves me at the at the command line. I can then log
5 in as root but when I type gdm it tells me gdm is already running. At
6 one point it told me that I had no screens configured or XDMCP is
7 disabled. I have unmerged gdm and re-emerged it.
8 I have rebuilt my xorg.conf. I have removed my /etc/X11/gdm.conf and
9 then ran gdmconfig. Even double checked rc.conf (no changes there).
10 All of which has been a learning experience but is alas fruitless.
11 /var/log/Xorg.0.log comes up clean execpt for a warning about APM and a
12 warning while probing the nvidia video card.
13 All hints will be tried and greatly appreciated.
14 Thanks in advance.
15 --
16 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list