From: Edward Catmur <ed@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GDM not bringing up log in screen
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 11:08:43
1 On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 23:05 -0600, George Roberts wrote:
2 > About a month or so ago I lost the ability to use my GDM to log in. I
3 > can log in using XDM which has to be called from the command line. When
4 > my system is booting it loads gdm, but when it finishes booting instead
5 > of starting X, it leaves me at the at the command line. I can then log
6 > in as root but when I type gdm it tells me gdm is already running. At
7 > one point it told me that I had no screens configured or XDMCP is
8 > disabled. I have unmerged gdm and re-emerged it.
9 > I have rebuilt my xorg.conf. I have removed my /etc/X11/gdm.conf and
10 > then ran gdmconfig. Even double checked rc.conf (no changes there).
11 > All of which has been a learning experience but is alas fruitless.
12 > /var/log/Xorg.0.log comes up clean execpt for a warning about APM and a
13 > warning while probing the nvidia video card.
14 > All hints will be tried and greatly appreciated.
15 > Thanks in advance.
16
17 "rm /var/run/gdm.pid"?
20 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list