From: George Roberts <georoberts@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GDM not bringing up log in screen
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 14:06:06
1 Edward Catmur wrote:
2
3 >On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 23:05 -0600, George Roberts wrote:
6 >>About a month or so ago I lost the ability to use my GDM to log in. I
7 >>can log in using XDM which has to be called from the command line. When
8 >>my system is booting it loads gdm, but when it finishes booting instead
9 >>of starting X, it leaves me at the at the command line. I can then log
10 >>in as root but when I type gdm it tells me gdm is already running. At
11 >>one point it told me that I had no screens configured or XDMCP is
12 >>disabled. I have unmerged gdm and re-emerged it.
13 >>I have rebuilt my xorg.conf. I have removed my /etc/X11/gdm.conf and
14 >>then ran gdmconfig. Even double checked rc.conf (no changes there).
15 >>All of which has been a learning experience but is alas fruitless.
16 >>/var/log/Xorg.0.log comes up clean execpt for a warning about APM and a
17 >>warning while probing the nvidia video card.
18 >>All hints will be tried and greatly appreciated.
19 >>Thanks in advance.
23 >"rm /var/run/gdm.pid"?
27 That did not help. :-( Still no joy.
28 --