From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't emerge sandbox
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 19:42:35
1 On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 4:02 PM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Recent versions of portage have suggested an emerge -e world, so I thought
5 > I'd try it. It got as far as sandbox, which failed with the once-common "C
6 > compiler cannot create executables" error. Of course I
7 > tried "FEATURES=-sandbox emerge sandbox" but that failed with the same
8 > error.
9 >
10 > I wondered what is set wrongly in my environment, so I booted a minimal
11 > installation CD and chrooted into the system, but with the same result.
12 >
13 > Can anyone suggest where my problem might lie? I've attached the log file.
14 > I'm confused by the apparent references in it to the cross-compiler. Google
15 > seems to have only old references.
16 >
17 > This is a dual-Opteron box with a mostly-amd64 setup - only a few packages
18 > are ~amd64. I'm also running an emerge -eq world on another amd64 box,
19 > which has had no problem with sandbox. Same versions of portage and sandbox
20 > on both machines.
21
22 /usr/libexec/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such
23 file or directory
24
25 Could you try
26 locate crt1.o
27 ?
28
29 By the way, why are you using gcc 4.2? I would either stick with the
30 stable gcc 4.1 or use gcc 4.3 (which is used by a number of recent
31 distributions, is used even in Debian Lenny - which should be released
32 shortly - and has a number of improvements)