From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Floppy support question for old farts. lol
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 19:03:38
1 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> On Sun, January 29, 2012 2:16 pm, Dale wrote:
6 >>> <snipped>
7 >>>> The little green light stayed on all the time so I unplugged it. I'm
8 >>>> hoping someone here may still have one of these and can shed some light
9 >>>> on this.
10 >>>
11 >>> The light staying on could also be because the floppy-flatcable is plugged
12 >>> in incorrectly. Turning it around might be sufficient to make it work
13 >>> again.
14 >>>
15 >>> --
16 >>> Joost
17 >>>
18 >>>
19 >>>
22 >> It started doing that all on its own without being touched. I'm pretty
23 >> sure it was trying to spin too. I think something went out and was
24 >> trying to make it spin all the time. I may have another one out in the
25 >> shed but I'm not sure. I may have a old junk rig but I don't know
26 >> whether they work or not. I'm also not sure I have any floppies either.
27 >>
28 >> I'm just full of issues on this one. lol
29 >>
30 >> Thanks to all for the replies. I'll give those tools a try.
31 >
32 > Forgot to mention a couple things earlier:
33 >
34 > 1) Floppies can go bad from dust accumulation. Sometimes they can be
35 > cleaned by jerking the head via software. That was a normal part of
36 > the driver in DOS and Windows, IIRC.
37 > 2) On PC clones, floppies never had auto-insert detection. (Though
38 > maybe you'd get something like that if you used a superfloppy or
39 > LS-120 drive to read them)
44 I'm going to try to talk him into letting my transfer them to CD. Tell
45 him it is time to catch up with new and better things. CD drives has
46 autodetect and just plain work better anyway.
47
48 At least I know there is a chance. ;-)
49
50 Dale
51
55 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
56 how you interpreted my words!
57
58 Miss the compile output? Hint:
59 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"