From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Floppy support question for old farts. lol
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 18:15:17
1 On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Sun, January 29, 2012 2:16 pm, Dale wrote:
5 >> <snipped>
6 >>>  The little green light stayed on all the time so I unplugged it.  I'm
7 >>> hoping someone here may still have one of these and can shed some light
8 >>> on this.
9 >>
10 >> The light staying on could also be because the floppy-flatcable is plugged
11 >> in incorrectly. Turning it around might be sufficient to make it work
12 >> again.
13 >>
14 >> --
15 >> Joost
21 > It started doing that all on its own without being touched.  I'm pretty
22 > sure it was trying to spin too.  I think something went out and was
23 > trying to make it spin all the time.  I may have another one out in the
24 > shed but I'm not sure.  I may have a old junk rig but I don't know
25 > whether they work or not.  I'm also not sure I have any floppies either.
26 >
27 > I'm just full of issues on this one.  lol
28 >
29 > Thanks to all for the replies.  I'll give those tools a try.
30
31 Forgot to mention a couple things earlier:
32
33 1) Floppies can go bad from dust accumulation. Sometimes they can be
34 cleaned by jerking the head via software. That was a normal part of
35 the driver in DOS and Windows, IIRC.
36 2) On PC clones, floppies never had auto-insert detection. (Though
37 maybe you'd get something like that if you used a superfloppy or
38 LS-120 drive to read them)
42 :wq