From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is Gentoo Healthy? (The Return)
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 11:10:00
1 On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 08:37:14 +0000 (UTC)
2 Thufir wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 21:40:10 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
5 >
6 > > Try doing that with
7 > > RPMs.
8 >
9 > Generally, works fine with YUM. I expect that yum and portage are
10 > about the same, and end result differences on dependencies are more
11 > due redhat/ fedora using multiple "repo's" for liability/policy
12 > reasons, not due to the superiority of portage over yum. My two
13 > cents.
16 > -Thufir
17
18 Mandrake/Mandriva has urpmi which handles RPM dependencies. Several
19 times I've updated from one Mandriva release to the next by downloading
20 the new release's package list then running "urpmi --auto-select".
21 Once the many packages are downloaded, the upgrade goes very well.
22
23 I used YUM for a while and it worked fine, though its dependency
24 resolving was much slower than urpmi.
25
26 Gentoo with portage makes it easier to stay up-to-date with the latest
27 and greatest. The existence of /etc/portage/package.* provides lots of
28 power to customize but adds a significant level of complexity. urpmi
29 and YUM are easier to use as both lack the customizability and the
30 associated complexity.
31
32 Just my $0.02.
33