From: Denis <denis.che@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which -march flag to pick for Intel Core 2 Duo in make.conf?
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 16:44:14
1 On 5/24/07, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > Bear in mind that GCC is almost certainly masked for good reason. It's
3 > not like you're using a binary distro and only need a compiler for a few
4 > packages. Feel free to try it in the knowledge that if it breaks your
5 > system, you get to keep the pieces.
6
7 Ain't it the truth! No, I wasn't asking with the anxiety to hurry
8 things up - I was asking more about an estimated release time, whether
9 it will be a month, 2 months, 3 months, etc.
10
11 I'm not really looking to "experiment" with the cutting-edge releases
12 right now. My aim is to build a fast, stable system for my
13 computations, which ultimately brought me to another major decision:
14 32-bit or 64-bit... I run simulations which I write in C and
15 numerical computations which I run in Mathematica (which has just
16 released the 64-bit version). Would a 64-bit system significantly
17 benefit these applications?
18 --
19 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list