From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which -march flag to pick for Intel Core 2 Duo in make.conf?
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 15:48:39
1 On Thu, 24 May 2007 11:13:30 -0400, Denis wrote:
2
3 > After reading some docs, the impression I get is that the 'nocona'
4 > flag is for building a 64-bit system... For a 32-bit system, it seems
5 > like 'prescott' would be the choice, wouldn't it?
6
7 Yes.
10 > We don't have gcc-4.2.0 in our portage available for installation yet,
11 > do we? Anyone know when?
12
13 When the devs consider it suitable for at least the testing branch or
14 when you do "echo =sys-devel/gcc-4.2*" >>/etc/portage/package.mask,
15 whichever comes sooner.
16
17 Bear in mind that GCC is almost certainly masked for good reason. It's
18 not like you're using a binary distro and only need a compiler for a few
19 packages. Feel free to try it in the knowledge that if it breaks your
20 system, you get to keep the pieces.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Sects, sects, sects, is that all you monks think about?