From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 08:55:53
1 On Thu, Sep 01, 2016 at 11:44:19AM +0300, gevisz wrote:
2
3 > > Some people do a full systems check (i.e. badblocks) before entrusting a
4 > > drive with anything important.
5 >
6 > It is a good advice! I have already thought of this but I am sorry to
7 > acknowledge that, since the "old good times" of MS DOS 6.22, I never did
8 > this in Linux. :(
9 > […]
10 > So, can you, please, advice me about the program or utility that can do
11 > badblocks check for me?
12
13 Badblocks is part of e2fsprogs. But since you’re using USB2, this will
14 really take a while. At best I get 39 MB/s out of it. Another way is a
15 S.M.A.R.T. test, methinks `smartctl -t full` is the command for that. But I
16 don’t know what exactly is being tested there. But it runs fully internal of
17 the disk, so no USB2-bottleneck. Others may chime in if I tell fairy tales.
20 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
21 I cna ytpe 300 wrods pre mniuet!!!