From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is there a standard sysctl-like way to modify sysfs files at boot time?
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 15:07:02
1 On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > On Monday 27 December 2010 19:37:29 Mark David Dumlao wrote:
5 > > I want to do this:
6 > > http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2010/11/forget-200-lines-red-hat-speed.
7 > > html
8 > >
9 > > in userspace, but automate it at boot time. it requires that I create and
10 > > mount the cgroup subsystem in sysfs and sounds a lot like something that I'd
11 > > do in sysctl for /proc/sys, but for sysfs rather than procfs.
12 > >
13 > > The only thing that comes to mind is to append to the local init script, but
14 > > it's so close to what sysctl does that I feel like someone's probably
15 > > written some tool for it. Is there one?
16 >
17 > why?
18 >
19 > why not just patch the kernel? or wait for 2.6.37? Why trying the easily
20 > broken userspace approach?
21
22 I disagree. I think userspace is the best place to do this, not
23 kernelspace, especially as I'm considering customizing the cgroup
24 behavior further than that. I'm not sure why I'd call the userspace
25 approach broken. It's different, not broken.
28 > btw - patch or userspace - what happens with apps not started from a shell?
29 >
30 Well according to the wiki article posted uses shell, and it doesn't
31 affect non-shell behavior.
34 This email is:    [ ] actionable   [ ] fyi        [x] social
35 Response needed:  [ ] yes          [x] up to you  [ ] no
36 Time-sensitive:   [ ] immediate    [ ] soon       [x] none