From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DRM error: couldn't read SADs
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 10:33:26
1 On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 10:23:45 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 01:10:16 GMT Jack wrote:
3 > > It's been a long time since I've needed to do it, and it was also due
4 > > to a (cheap?) KVM switch, but I think there are two things that might
5 > > help. First, if you boot the PC with that monitor connected, it might
6 > > actually read the EDID data. Even if not, if you can capture it (one
7 > > time use of a straigt DVI or VGA cable?) you can save it tp a file
8 > > using x11-misc/read-edid, and then there is a way to get kernel/X to
9 > > read that EDID file at startup instead of trying and failing to get it
10 > > directly from the monitor. If you can't find a reference, I'll dig and
11 > > try to figure out if it's kernel paramater or xorg.conf that you need
12 > > to mess with.
13 >
14 > Yes, I remember something along those lines - reading EDID from a file
15 > instead of the device. I don't think it's that simple though, as the
16 > screen is being driven at the right resolution. I just get half-a-dozen
17 > or so errors reported during a full day.
18 >
19 > I'm expecting the bits to make a direct connection to arrive today, so
20 > fingers crossed ...
21
22 For the record, the more direct link (a cable with DisplayPort at one end
23 and HDMI at the other) has cleared the SAD problem, but not the balance of
24 the picture. And I'm left with no all-inclusive KVM.
25
26 Those are problems for another day...
29 Regards,
30 Peter.