From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unity on Gentoo?
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 16:06:48
1 On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 5:56 AM, James Broadhead
2 <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On 25 September 2011 03:15, Nilesh Govindarajan <contact@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> It's stunning to know that something that's shipped by default with
5 >> Ubuntu sucks so much? Canonical surely must have gone haywire.
6 >
7 > It wouldn't be the first time that they've effectively tested software
8 > by pushing it out to their user-base.
9 >
10 > PuuuuuuuuuulseAudio!
11
12 You are right about Ubuntu pushing PulseAudio before it was ready, and
13 (more worrisome) they did it without doing their homework (as the
14 author of PulseAudio says himself):
15
16 http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/jeffrey-stedfast.html
17
18 But with Unity the problem is much more than being pushed before time:
19 Unity is a project sponsored by Canonical, and if you want to
20 contribute code to it, you need to sign a "Contributor License
21 Agreement" (CLA), where you basically waive all copyright of your code
22 to Canonical, and let them do anything with it. That's why nobody
23 (except Ubuntu) is touching Unity with a three meters pole.
24
25 You can find Unity packages for Debian and Fedora, and I think it
26 would be an interesting project to make an ebuild of it. Some
27 developer with enough time and interest will do it. But I can almost
28 guarantee that Unity will not be used massively by any distribution
29 that is not Ubuntu: And in the end that's what Canonical wants. They
30 want Ubuntu to be "different" to other distros, to have "an edge".
31 Hence the CLA, so they can do whatever they want with it, even change
32 license if so they want.
33
34 The success of PulseAudio (like it or not many people) is shown in the
35 fact that *every* distribution is using it, it's a dependency of
36 GNOME (and it's a hard dependency on GNOME 3), and by now almost
37 everybody agrees it works the way it's supposed to.
38
39 Unity on the other hand will never be really used outside of Ubuntu,
40 for the reasons I listed above. If not by the CLA, I probably would
41 try Unity, even though I am really happy with my GNOME 3 desktop.
42 Maybe it has really interesting ideas.
43
44 But I really not care about any of them if they will be controlled by
45 only one company for only one distribution. And besides, it's not even
46 the distribution I use.
47
48 Regards.
49 --