From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: changing CHOST in stage3
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 03:38:00
1 At Thu, 24 Nov 2005 19:55:03 +0000 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:48:34 -0500 Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
4 > wrote:
5 > | It surprises me that release engineering starts with a stage1 to get a
6 > | stage3 and then we use this stage3 to build a stage1. I mention this
7 > | only out of curiosity; there is a stage3 with my desired CHOST and I
8 > | expect to do all future installs starting with stage3 (I formerly used
9 > | stage1).
10 >
11 > Well... You need a reasonably complete system to build a toolchain,
12 > hence the stage 3 seed. Building a toolchain with a different CHOST is
13 > pretty close to cross-compiling, so the only way you can do it safely
14 > is to start from scratch, hence building up from a stage 1.
15
16 Thank you for this clear explanation.
17 allan
18 --
19 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list