From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: changing CHOST in stage3
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 20:00:13
1 On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:48:34 -0500 Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
2 wrote:
3 | It surprises me that release engineering starts with a stage1 to get a
4 | stage3 and then we use this stage3 to build a stage1. I mention this
5 | only out of curiosity; there is a stage3 with my desired CHOST and I
6 | expect to do all future installs starting with stage3 (I formerly used
7 | stage1).
8
9 Well... You need a reasonably complete system to build a toolchain,
10 hence the stage 3 seed. Building a toolchain with a different CHOST is
11 pretty close to cross-compiling, so the only way you can do it safely
12 is to start from scratch, hence building up from a stage 1.
15 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Supreme Lord Gerbil Wrangler)
16 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
17 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm