From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: changing CHOST in stage3
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 17:53:29
1 At Thu, 24 Nov 2005 04:58:07 +0000 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 15:34:27 -0500 Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
4 > wrote:
5 > | At Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:17:27 +0000 Ciaran McCreesh
6 > | <ciaranm@g.o> wrote:
7 > | > The only way you can safely change CHOST is by making new stages
8 > | > through catalyst. There're various scripts which *sometimes* fix
9 > | > your system after a CHOST change, but they're not reliable...
10 > |
11 > | Does this mean that, if one needs a CHOST value not represented in any
12 > | of the current stage3 tar files, your recommendation would be to begin
13 > | with a stage1?
14 >
15 > Nope. You need a stage3 to build a stage1 with a new CHOST.
16
17 In the faq (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml#stage12) I find.
18
19 How do I Install Gentoo Using a Stage1 or Stage2 Tarball?
20
21 The Gentoo Handbook only describes a Gentoo installation using a
22 stage3 tarball. However, Gentoo still provides stage1 and stage2
23 tarballs. This is for development purposes (the Release Engineering
24 team starts from a stage1 tarball to obtain a stage3) but shouldn't be
25 used by users: a stage3 tarball can very well be used to bootstrap the
26 system. You do need a working Internet connection.
27
28 It surprises me that release engineering starts with a stage1 to get a
29 stage3 and then we use this stage3 to build a stage1. I mention this
30 only out of curiosity; there is a stage3 with my desired CHOST and I
31 expect to do all future installs starting with stage3 (I formerly used
32 stage1).
33
34 thanks,
35 allan