From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Silicon Image 3112 Raid Controller on Kernel 2.6.22 and 2.6.23 not working.
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 13:39:11
1 On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 13:57:06 +0100
2 Norman Rieß wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > i am using a Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3112 [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial
7 > ATA Controller (rev 02) in a non-RAID configuration. Simply an an
8 > SATA-Controller so to speak.
9 > This worked fine ever since. But with the release of kernel 2.6.22 the
10 > controller stopped working.
11 >
12 > Here is a picture of the errormessage when the kernel loads.
13 >
14 > http://www.smash-net.org/kernel2.6.23/kernel_sil_err.jpg
15 >
16 > I googled around and found, that quite a few people had problems with
17 > SIL-Controllers. But none but one had this particular problem. This
18 > guy apparently told a kernel developer about this, who said he would
19 > take a look at it. So i waited till 3.6.23, but the problem still
20 > persists.
21 >
22 > Here is my kernel-config for 2.6.23:
23 > http://www.smash-net.org/kernel2.6.23/config-kernel-2.6.23
24 >
25 > Maybe someone on this list has a fresh idea.
26 >
27 > Regards
28 > Norman
31 Hello Norman,
32
33 I, too, have one of their controllers (identified by lspci as "RAID bus
34 controller: Silicon Image, Inc. PCI0680 Ultra ATA-133 Host Controller
35 (rev 02)". It works ... kind of ...
36
37 I bought it because my new AMD64 mobo has 1 ATA connector and I have 2
38 ATA hard drives and a SONY DVD RW DRU-510A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive.
39 When I tried to boot a LiveCD from the SONY, the kernel was read then
40 reported "can't find cdrom device". Not good!
41
42 To upgrade to 64-bit gentoo, I had to recable my box so that my primary
43 HD and the SONY were attached to the mobo.
44
45 My rating of the SII card? "OK -- sort of".
46
47 Regards,
48
49 David