From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: SVGA mode & the console
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 23:24:20
1 On 01/03/2011 10:23 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >> uvesafb will not give you extra resolutions. It will however allow you to
4 >> use non-default refresh-rates which is sometimes useful with CRT monitors.
5 >>
6 >> But it has a drawback too: it needs a userspace tool and resolution is
7 >> switched too late during the boot process, meaning until it loads you'll be
8 >> seeing the kernel boot in 80x25 mode (which in turn means no boot
9 >> graphics/logo right from the start.)
10 >
11 > I use uvesafb and I can see Tux (eight of him) during my boot process
12 > before uvesafb kicks in.
13
14 I mean more something like this when I say "boot logo":
15
16 http://mjanusz.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/shot.png
17
18 It's at least 10 years since I saw that default Tux boot thingy :-P But
19 anyway, if uvesafb hasn't kicked in yet, what on earth is drawing that Tux?