From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Epic list of total FAIL.
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 01:45:59
1 On Thursday, August 20, 2015 6:31:48 PM Alan Grimes wrote:
2 > Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
3 > > The ncurses ebuild is indeed broken, I ran into the same problem before.
4 > >
5 > > But you received good advice on your last thread (build libtinfo on
6 another
7 > > system and copy it or just try symlinking it to ncurses), if you'd
8 followed it
9 > > you would a got your system back up in a few minutes.
10 >
11 > ppl seem to be antsy to hear what I actually did, so I'll respond....
12 >
13 > 1. I got my grubby mitts on a stage 3 tarball, I always keep one on hand
14 > for this reason. =\
17 > 2. I grepped everything in /bin and /lib for tinfo and copied over from
18 > the tarball where necessary.
19
20 You can not blindly mix and match files like that, this is likely what broke
21 your compiler (if you copied only some gcc related files)! You where advised to
22 copy the bash binary, or libtinfo.so (from another system), or symlink it to
23 libncurses.so. All good advice but you chose to do something dumb. Now you may
24 need to unpack a whole stage3, start over, and wait another 3 days.
27 > 3. Started --emptytree world.
28 >
29 > 4. waited.
30 >
31 > 5. kicked it each time it stopped,
32 >
33 > 6. kicked it some more.
34 >
35 > 7. kicked it a few more times.
36 >
37 > 8, got to the end of the list about two and a half days later (which is
38 > par for my machine.)
39 >
40 > 9. published the results.
41 >