From: Giuseppe Pappalardo <me@××××××××××××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternative kernels
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 19:56:23
1 On 10/26/2014 08:43 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 2:33 PM, Giuseppe Pappalardo
5 >> <me@××××××××××××××××××.eu> wrote:
6 >>> On 10/26/2014 08:23 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>>>
9 >>>> As to how do I maintain them, I wrote a little utility that I've been
10 >>>> using from the last year or so:
11 >>>>
12 >>>> https://github.com/canek-pelaez/kerninst
13 >>>>
14 >>>> With it, after I install a new kernel using the normal portage
15 >>>> procedure, I just do:
16 >>>>
17 >>>> eselect kernel set <new-version>
18 >>>> kerninst
19 >>>>
20 >>>> And that's it. Be aware that you need to provide your own kernel configuration.
21 >>>>
22 >>>> Regards.
23 >>>>
24 >>> How does this differs from just enabling the "symlink" USE flag in
25 >>> vanilla-sources?
26 >>
27 >> AFAIU, the symlink USE flag just updates the /usr/src/linux link
28 >> automatically at install time (although I have never used it).
29 >>
30 >> kerninst configures (using a user-provided .config file), compiles,
31 >> and installs the kernel in the correct location (/boot if using GRUB2,
32 >> a more complex location if using Gummiboot), and then it updates the
33 >> configuration of the boot manager (either GRUB2 or Gummiboot).
34 >
35 > Oh, I forgot; it also generates an initramfs for it with dracut. This
36 > is important: kerninst assumes you use an initramfs, and that you use
37 > dracut to create it. Also, it assumes you already configured
38 > dracut.conf.
39 >
40 > Regards.
41 >
42 Got it. Thanks a lot for your clarification.
45 Giuseppe "Pappi" Pappalardo | www.giuseppepappalardo.eu |
46 www.twitter.com/pappi_