From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternative kernels
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 19:43:26
1 On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 2:33 PM, Giuseppe Pappalardo
3 > <me@××××××××××××××××××.eu> wrote:
4 >> On 10/26/2014 08:23 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>
7 >>> As to how do I maintain them, I wrote a little utility that I've been
8 >>> using from the last year or so:
9 >>>
10 >>> https://github.com/canek-pelaez/kerninst
11 >>>
12 >>> With it, after I install a new kernel using the normal portage
13 >>> procedure, I just do:
14 >>>
15 >>> eselect kernel set <new-version>
16 >>> kerninst
17 >>>
18 >>> And that's it. Be aware that you need to provide your own kernel configuration.
19 >>>
20 >>> Regards.
21 >>>
22 >> How does this differs from just enabling the "symlink" USE flag in
23 >> vanilla-sources?
24 >
25 > AFAIU, the symlink USE flag just updates the /usr/src/linux link
26 > automatically at install time (although I have never used it).
27 >
28 > kerninst configures (using a user-provided .config file), compiles,
29 > and installs the kernel in the correct location (/boot if using GRUB2,
30 > a more complex location if using Gummiboot), and then it updates the
31 > configuration of the boot manager (either GRUB2 or Gummiboot).
32
33 Oh, I forgot; it also generates an initramfs for it with dracut. This
34 is important: kerninst assumes you use an initramfs, and that you use
35 dracut to create it. Also, it assumes you already configured
36 dracut.conf.
37
38 Regards.
39 --
40 Canek Peláez Valdés
41 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias