From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage getting slicker?
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 14:59:10
1 Franz Fellner <alpine.art.de <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > Sorry for the interrupting a big gurus, but in my humble opinion
5 > > the reason why there was no compilation while running emerge for
6 > > the first time is the -p option (pretend).
7
8 > No, even without -p the first command wouldn't have done anything, because
9 "Total: 0 packages".
10 > There simple was nothing to do! The second command showed "3 Packages".
11
12 Exactly! Pointless minutia, unless someone has knowledge of how the code
13 has changed over the last few years, related to those flags that change.
14
15 emerge -uvDNp world
16 emerge -uvDN world
17 emerge -uDtv @world
18
19 For sure 'N' and 't' are the specific flags that cause the differences
20 in behavior.
21
22 So it was a just a 'moral booster' and a general 'shout out' for those
23 devs. If I really cared, and I do not have time to (deeply) care about these
24 improvements, I'd go to github and look at the codes that have changed over
25 the last few years, specifically realted to those aforementioned flags.....
26 So if you look here::
27
28 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Portage
29
30 You can see the dev listing for the 'dev-portage@g.o' whom
31 collectively are doing an excellent job:: and that's my point.
32
33 hth,
34 James