From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: systemd not starting wpa_supplicant after last update
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 00:30:09
1 On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 6:37 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 02/11/2015 03:20 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 5:37 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Yes, thank you! Did you use systemctl to make all the symlinks? I just did it
6 >>> all manually and it works, but I'm not sure how I would have done it using systemctl.
7 >>>
8 >>
9 >> systemctl enable <service>
10 >>
11 >> That looks in the unit's install section to see what target it should
12 >> be associated with. This is actually a nice feature - with openrc it
13 >> wasn't always obvious when things should go in the boot vs default
14 >> runlevel, etc. But, all that command does is create the symlinks in
15 >> the target.wants directory, so you can just create those yourself if
16 >> you want to. That actually works for anything - you can effectively
17 >> add a dependency to a unit by creating a directory of the appropriate
18 >> name and symlinking the dependency inside.
19 >
20 > The symlink that was puzzling me is this one:
21 >
22 > wpa_supplicant@×××××.service -> /usr/lib64/systemd/system/wpa_supplicant@.service
23 >
24 > The name of the symlink is not the same as the .service file it points to.
25 > Is there a systemctl command that would do that for me?
26
27 systemctl enable wpa_supplicant@wlan0
28
29 That is an instanced service. It is a bit like creating a symlink
30 from net.lo to net.eth0 in openrc. If you read the service file
31 you'll see that all it does is takes whatever is to the right of the
32 @, tacks on a .conf, and uses that as the openvpn config file.
33 Another example is getty@ - you want to run 6 gettys and they all
34 start/stop independently, so instead of copying the same file 6 times
35 you just parameterize it.
38 Rich