From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to get memtest onto a USB drive
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 22:12:02
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > I have a nearly new machine which is already showing signs of hardware
5 > failure. I'd like to check its memory, for which memtest86+ seems suitable.
6 > But I can't install it via portage because this is a UEFI machine and so its
7 > boot partition is vfat; the install phase fails because symbolic links can't
8 > be done.
9 >
10 > I downloaded an ISO image from http://www.memtest.org/#downiso and used
11 > unetbootin to write it to the USB. It won't boot. I then tried dd but got
12 > the same result.
13 >
14 > What's the recommended way to put a bootable memtest86+ image, or
15 > equivalent, on a USB stick?
19 This is different but I found this that says it works with your setup.
20 I don't have one like yours, just googled for a possible solution.
21
22 http://www.memtest86.com/technical.htm#usage
23
24 If you think that will work, may want to try that memtest. If not,
25 please ignore me. ;-)
26
27 Dale
28