From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nsapass - alternative to keepassxc (and others)
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2020 19:13:32
1 On Saturday, 18 July 2020 18:51:12 CEST Caveman Al Toraboran wrote:
2 > ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
3 >
4 > On Friday, July 17, 2020 8:56 PM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > > Looks nice. Except for:
6 > > I like having a GUI where I can easily access the different account
7 > > details.
8 > how about:
9 > `nsapass list | less`
10 > ?
11 >
12 > (thinking to let nsapass automatically pipe list's
13 > output to `less`)
14
15 This is not a GUI
16
17 > > Does it use Keepass databases? Or something you designed yourself?
18 >
19 > myself. it's just an encrypted json file. you
20 > can decrypt it by `scrypt dec path/to/db.enc` to
21 > see how stupidly simple it is.
22 >
23 > (to create it, use `nsapass gen 25 printable` to
24 > generate an entry quickly, or `nsapass add UNAME
25 > PWORD NOTE` for a manual approach).
26
27 This makes portability a problem. Exactly why keepass (and clones) are used
28 more.
29
30 > > Can it work with password database files that are stored on a central
31 > > server without having to change the code?
32 > no. i personally sync my passwords file with git
33 > (as i also sync my configs).
34
35 Nice, a full detailed list of every single change to your passwords :)
36
37 > > A password database with NSA in the name does not inspire confidence.
38 >
39 > it's like making a bear gag. if you run away from
40 > bear, bear may chase you. but instead if you
41 > stand, and put your fist in bear's mouth, the bear
42 > gags and runs away.
43 >
44 > i wonder if this would make nsa gag and run away?
45 > on the other hand, but if it was named
46 > BlockchainedTorPass, they would be probably
47 > sniffing at it day long.
48 >
49 > the name is a joke though. i thought it is funny
50 > (someone suggested it to me and i liked it).
51
52 I do understand it's a joke, but a lot of people won't.
53
54 > just to clarify, i am not even against nsa. imo
55 > nsa people are actually good guys that try to
56 > audit suspects to ensure longer stability and
57 > peace, and it's disappointing that they get a bad
58 > image in media.
59
60 Considering what the NSA (and the other TLAs have been upto), I'm afraid I
61 have to disagree with you on this.
62
63 > that said, i just like having a personal space
64 > that its boundaries are respected. if anyone
65 > wants my data, i want him to take it with my
66 > approval.
67
68 The likes of NSA don't actually care about your (dis)approval.
71 Joost