From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] At last! A Qt5 version of KMail-2 - but here be dragons!
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 13:15:14
1 On Monday, December 19, 2016 09:45:21 AM Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote :
3 > > On Sunday, December 18, 2016 03:11:58 PM Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > > > Peter Humphrey peter@××××××××××××.uk>
5 > >
6 > > wrote :
7 > > > > This morning I ran my usual daily update and was presented with a long
8 > > > > list of kde-app packages, including KMail-2. The only problem was four
9 > > > > blocks that portage couldn't sort out on its own, so I evicted the
10 > > > > existing versions with emerge -C and continued.
11 > > > >
12 > > > > Then kleopatra failed to build, as in bug 602924. The fix there worked
13 > >
14 > > (I
15 > >
16 > > > > should call it an evasion really) and kleopatra built ok.
17 > > >
18 > > > I should have done some more checking before writing. The fix was to
19 > >
20 > > emerge
21 > >
22 > > > -C kde-apps/gpgmepp. I don't know whether you can do that before
23 > > > starting
24 > > > the upgrade, but it's worth a try. It might save a lot of work.
25 > > >
26 > > > At any rate, there's no sign of gpgmepp being pulled back in with the
27 > > > new
28 > > > 16.12.0 versions of kde-apps packages, now that the old versions have
29 > >
30 > > gone.
31 > >
32 > > More important, how is the latest kmail behaving?
33 >
34 > It isn't.
35 >
36 > I finished the emerge -e world, then @preserved-rebuild presented me with a
37 > whole lot of packages, resulting in the same appalling mess as before:
38 > incompatible versions being required of numerous packages. I've never had
39 > @preserved-rebuild follow an -e world before.
40
41 Me neither, although I do wonder if it maybe caches something somewhere.
42 I did just now have a preserved-rebuild after a depclean action.
43 (This was after a clean update and no preserved-rebuild necessary prior to the
44 depclean)
45
46 > I've reverted to a week-old system backup, but now when I invoke KMail I get
47 > a dialogue box saying "This will start the program kmail -qwindowtitle %c
48 > %u. If you do not trust this program, click Cancel". What? Of course I
49 > trust it, so I click Continue, and I get "Unable to make the service KMail
50 > executable, aborting execution"
51 >
52 > What could possible go wrong with a simple offline tarring of files to USB
53 > disk and back again? I know, I know...
54
55 Did you include all the permissions in the tar during compression and
56 extraction?
57
58 > Has no-one else tried this upgrade?
59
60 No, did try today, but as it has a conflict with dependencies for kmymoney
61 (which isn't yet for slot 5), I am unwilling to proceed on this laptop.
62
63 I will test my desktop later today/this week.
66 Joost