From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Vmware Player 4 from vmware-overlay
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 22:14:44
1 Am 20.10.2011 18:47, schrieb Mark Knecht:
2
3 > The following is more for my own to do list. Feel free to respond if
4 > you know of a good Gentoo oriented web page for using KVM.
5
6 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/KVM
7
8 ?
9
10 > - I believe I've read that somehow I can convert my VMware Player
11 > image to something that KVM runs directly. Is that correct? If so I
12 > can move there pretty quickly, at least in terms of a simple test.
13
14 KVM is able to use (some versions) of vmdk-files, yes.
15
16 Converting images is also possible, for examples see:
17
18 http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/convert-vmware-vmdk-to-kvm-qcow2-or-virtualbox-vdi/
19
20 > - I suppose there's a bunch of kernel config I need to do first, as
21 > well as emerge some sort of KVM apps?
22
23 See mentioned wiki-page for a start.
24
25 Stefan