From: Chris Brennan <xaero@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The SIMPLEST web server to config (this time - just for serving video files) ?
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 19:30:37
1 On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 Hi,
4 > Pandu asked a similar question a few days ago about serving up
5 > files, but mostly for distfiles IIRC. It got me thinking about doing
6 > the same sort of thing, but this time to serve up MP4 video files for
7 > my Kindle Fire as well as other computers on _only_ my home network.
8 > Sort of an in-house Mark's Watch Instantly setup. I've now got a few
9 > hundred gigabyte of mp4 files ripped with Grant's suggested app
10 > Handbrake. They look good on my desktop playing in xine. When the
11 > Kindle Fire arrives I'd like to have a web server running on my
12 > private network that Silk (Amazon's KF broswer) could access, possibly
13 > presenting nothing but the alphabetical folders that the video files
14 > are in, and then if I select one it starts streaming that file.
15 >
16 > My main issue isn't really the lightest in terms of memory or CPU
17 > usage, but rather something that's VERY easy to setup the config so
18 > that I don't have to spend much time reading manuals.
19 >
20 > From browsing around a lot of pages on the web it seems that there
21 > are a number of small & light servers (in terms of memory anyway) in
22 > portage. Some names: fnord, thttpd, boa, monkeyd & cherokee. Does
23 > anyone know if one of those would fit my main need of just being
24 > extremely simple to setup and keep running for this one purpose?
25 >
26 > Thanks in advance,
27 > Mark
30 nginx comes to mind, very easy to set up and it should be able to serve
31 your video's w/o issue...
34 > --
35 > Chris Brennan
36 > A: Yes.
37 > >Q: Are you sure?
38 > >>A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
39 > >>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?
40 > http://xkcd.com/84/ | http://xkcd.com/149/ | http://xkcd.com/549/
41 > GPG: D5B20C0C (6741 8EE4 6C7D 11FB 8DA8 9E4A EECD 9A84 D5B2 0C0C)